the are mainly 8 health benefits in pistachios,not only are pistachio nuts tasty and fun to eat,now you know they are also super healthy.
- firstly they are loaded with nutrients,with one-ounce (28-gram) serving about 49 pistachios containing the following:
- Calories: 156
- Carbs: 8 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
- Fat: 12 grams (90% are healthy fats)
- Potassium: 8% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 14% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 24% of the RDI
- Thiamin: 16% of the RDI
- Copper: 18% of the RDI
- Manganese: 17% of the RDI
with these in mind,pistachios are one of the most Vitamin B6-rich food around.
Vitamin B6 is important for several functions,including blood sugar regulation and the formation of hemoglobins,molecules that carry oxygen in red blood cells.
Pistachios are also rich in Potassium,with one ounce containing more potassium than half a large banana.
- High in antioxidants: antioxidants are vital to your health. they prevent cell damage and play a key role in reducing the risk of disease,such as cancer. among nuts,pistachios have the highest content of lutein an zeaxanthin ,both of which are very important antioxidants for eye health. they protect eyes against damage caused by blue light and age-related macular degeneration.
- low in calories yet high in protein: while eating nuts have many healthy benefits,they are typically high in calories. fortunately,pistachios are among the lowest-calories nuts. they also have a higher ratio of essential amino acid,which are the building blocks of protein,than any other content.these amino acids are considered essential because your body can’t make them,so you have to get the from your diet.
- may help you lose weight: despite being an energy-dense food,nuts are one of the most weight loss friendly foods on the planet. pistachios are rich in fiber and protein,both of which increase satiety by helping you feel full and eat less. plus eating in-shell pistachios is good for mindful eating,as un-shelling the nuts takes time and slows down the rate of eating.the left over shells also gives you a visual clue of how many nuts you have eaten.
- promote healthy gut bacteria: we already know that pistachios are high in fiber,fiber moves through your digestive system mostly undigested.but some types of fiber are digested by the good bacteria in your gut,acting as prebiotics. butyrate is perhaps the most beneficial of these short-chain fatty acids.
- may lower cholesterol and blood pressure: as well as being high in antioxidants, pistachios may lower blood cholesterol and improve blood pressure,thus lowering your risk of heart disease. in fact,several studies have demonstrated the cholesterol-lowering effects of pistachios.
- may benefit your blood vessels: pistachio nuts may play an important role in promoting blood vessel health.thats because they are rich in L-arginine,which,when converted to nitric oxide,helps dilate your blood vessels.
- may help lower blood sugar: despite having a higher carb content than most nuts,pistachios have a low glycemic index,meaning they don’t cause a large spike in your blood sugar. therefore,simply adding pistachios to your diet may help control your blood sugar levels in the long term